What’s it like to lose contact with reality? In Episode 6 of Bensplaining, artist and activist Alex Childs shares the moving story of her experience of psychosis.
Alex has studied psychology and cared for a friend experiencing schizophrenia, so brings a multidimensional insight to questions of mental health.
• The process of healing
• Effects of stigma and self-stigma
• The relationship between environment and psychology
• How cultural understandings of sanity differ
• Advantages and disadvantages of the medicalisation of well-being.
• Tips on supporting people struggling with delusions
If you’d like to have a better understanding on how to assist people experiencing a mental health crisis, why not do a Mental Health First Aid course?
Thanks for listening, and thanks again to Alex for sharing her experience.
Remember to subscribe on iTunes!