Benjamin Hickey writes short stories, essays and other things in Melbourne/Naarm, Australia.
Representation by Melanie Ostell Literary.
Selected publications & accomplishments
• Gethsemane was published in The Big Issue Fiction Edition in 2022 (ed. #669)
• Stop Motion won the 2022 Newcastle Short Story Award.
• Benjamin was awarded a 2022 Varuna Residential Fellowship for an excerpt of Common Ruin, his manuscript of interconnected short stories.
• Acheron won the 2019 Grace Marion Wilson Emerging Writers Award for Fiction.
• The Devils and the Deep Blue Sea was published in the 2018 Visible Ink anthology, Trace.
• Benjamin received the Judy Duffy Award for Excellence from RMIT University in 2018.
Teaching and communications
Benjamin teaches professional writing at RMIT in the Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing.
Currently an editor at a state government integrity body, he has worked as a copywriter and communications strategist for businesses and NGOs in-house, freelance and through agencies.
He also helps environment and social justice activist groups communicate more effectively.
Always dabbling, Ben has created and published podcasts for independent and professional projects.
He has written for the stage and acted in plays including Tales from the Vault and A Comprehensive Study of Gastric Juice, and emceed the 2018 Odyssey Line-by-line Literary Festival.
He also volunteers for a mental health community group that runs personal development courses.
Benjamin Hickey chose this ‘.org’ domain name because it was $19 cheaper than the other options. He hasn’t decided whether or not he regrets it.
Have a question, thought or cool idea? Get in touch
PS. If you’re looking for the microparty guide, it’s here.